Noticed black bruise like appearance on lower left side of neck. What is causing this?

I have back bruised like appearance on my lower Lt side of neck present for a few weeks now - no hx of injury ? what is causing it
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 minutes later

I would like to know some more relevant history about the problem you have.

Is the lesion raised ?
Are there any other such lesions ?
Are there any symptoms like pain or itching over or surrounding the lesion ?
What would be the exact colour of the lesion ?

If possible please do attach an image of the lesion here, I shall have a look and understand better to opine specifically.

Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Noticed black bruise like appearance on lower left side of neck. What is causing this? 9 minutes later
It isn't a lesion or a pigmented lesion.It is a black coloured discolouration of the skin on Lt side where my carotid artery is more like a bruise colour.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Bruise without any causative trauma is most commonly seen in bleeding disorders.
Also in people who are on blood thinning medication. Here ooze from minute blood vessels
perfuse into skin n produce bruise like lesion.

Such lesions are self limiting , but the underlying cause has to be found as such bleeding
can occur anywhere in any organ which could be fatal sometimes.

I can still try to be more specific If could have a look at the lesion.Do send me a image of the same.

Waiting for your reply,