Noticed appearance of small black spots between toes. Could it be hematomas or fungus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In between my baby toe and the next I have four black spots. They appeared all of a sudden and the spots are NOT individually spreading but more spots are forming, They are not raised or itchy. The almost look like beauty marks. There are other random marks under my big toe and between some other toes. These are more the size of a pin and there are severeal. The family Dr had no idea and the dermotologist, over the phone, said it might be hematomas. I am very doubtful of this diagnosis. I don't think that is what it is. I have had no luck in my research online. Now, I have Athlete's foot cream on it to tests if it works, whether or not it is a fungus?? IT is NOT athlete's foot. Tomorrow I will try topical tea tree and vit E oil.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The appearance of small black spots between toes seems to be a harmless finding.
These are likely to small moles. Or it can be due to solar lentigo or sun spots. Solar lentigines most commonly occur in older adults, particularly those who sunburn easily and fail to XXXXXXX They appear as well-defined, light brown to black, flat spots.
You only need to self monitor these lesions for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means they need to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed appearance of small black spots between toes. Could it be hematomas or fungus? 47 minutes later
IT does not concern you that they have appeared all of a sudden? Also it does not concern you that there are other "outbreaks" of smaller diameter - size of a pin head?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Sudden appearance is not worrisome unless there is itching, redness, ulceration or an active growth of the lesion. A direct examination by a dermatologist will help you better for exact diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.