Noticed anus leaking. Feeling uncomfortable. Diagnosed as skin problem. What could it be?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hey and thanks for answering in advance. I'm a 21 year old male and I have been having problems for over 1 year now with my anus leaking. When I go to the bathroom I make sure to clean myself real good after doing my business and sometimes I even take a shower and clean myself again after that. Buuut usually 10-15 minutes after I go to the bathroom and clean myself afterwards I feel uncomfortable on my butt and I go to the bathroom and wipe it with a paper towel and there will be feces down there. I have gone to a couple of doctors now in my country and they thought it was a skin problem which seems very stupid to me because what I see as the real problem is my anus leaking. This (I suspect) causes the skin around the anus to become soar and burns a little and makes it so that I cant workout, do labour work, go out running, do stuff that makes me sweat because sweat will usually make the tenderness of the skin down there worse and sometimes like a burning feeling in the anus. As I said I suspect the leaking anus to be the cause to the skin problems around the anus but I cant seem to figure out what is causing this. This started ca 1 year ago give or take and the only lifestyle change I can remember from that time is that I got fatter and was eating more junk food and still am. I'm not overweight though I'm 180cm tall and 75kg. I hope you can come to some sort of conclusion about this illness.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is what we call fecal incontinence in medical language

But before we stamp it I need some clarifications :

1] What is the frequency of stool or soiling in 24 hours ?

2] Do you pass mucus in stool ?

3] Is there fullness of abdomen after taking meals ?

4] Is there soiling of garments when you pass flatus ?

5] Have you tried retaining stool in case there is no provision for toilet ?

You may need to go for Anal Manometry to confirm a diagnosis

Get back to me with this information and we will try to sort out your issue

Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Noticed anus leaking. Feeling uncomfortable. Diagnosed as skin problem. What could it be? 23 hours later

Hello Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja.

I would like to add that I have suspicions that my diet may have a role in causing this "illness" seeing as it started when I was living quite unhealthy and eating a lot of fat foods and I still do. I have heard that when people become of more weight and eat fat foods that leaking may occur. I have answered all your questions beneath in order. Before you start, where do I go for anal manometry? Should I speak with my family doctor to find out where?

Answer to question 1:
I cant really count how often it happens because I don't feel anything when it happens. I just feel a soar feeling around the opening of the rectum if I sit for long or If I sweat or do something that strains the body. It really varies from day to day. For example yesterday I went to the toilet every 15-30 minutes to wipe my behind and there was always a little wet feces on the paper when I checked. I went out for a walk for 30 minutes yesterday and when I got buck I felt my skin was very soar and a little burning feeling. Today I have almost not had to go wipe my behind at all. I still feel very soar around the rectum opening though.

2] Do you pass mucus in stool ?

Answer to question 2 :
I can not say with certainty that I have noticed that at all. Its more sweat like feces rather than mucus I would say.

3] Is there fullness of abdomen after taking meals

Answer to question 3:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by fullness of abdomen. If what you mean is that I feel like my stomach is full (abdomen = stomach?) then no not really unless I eat too much.

Answer to question 4:
Yes. Not always though.

Answer to question 5:
I manage to retain stool if I am not in close access to WC and that is usually no problem.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 45 minutes later
Hi

Well I think it may be some loss of tone of the sphincter

But again your ability to retain stool very well contradicts the diagnosis

You definitely need to reduce fat in your diet, secondly take adequate fiber

Sitz bath with physiotherapy to control defecation during the same may help strengthen the sphincter

Add a probiotic twice a day for atleast 2-3 weeks

Get a stool examination done if there is mucus or pus get a culture done and take antibiotic accordingly

I would surely suggest Anal Manometry - Do talk to your healthcare provider for the same

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubt
Wishing you a healthy life ahead