Noticed a thin, faint, brown line under index fingers. Is melanoma a hereditary disease?

Question
Last year my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. Recently I noticed a thin, faint, brown line under my index fingers. I read that melanoma can be inherited. Should these signs be worthy of consulting a doctor?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
The brown discoloration under the nail is a melanoma if you can recall there is no history of injury that can result in hematoma under the nail.
How is your father, Melanomas do not give long time of survival and there is a bit hereditary predisposition.
If the discoloration is new/increasing/painful/ragged margins/bleeding then one must be proactive about it's diagnosis.
The subungual melanoma as in your case must be evaluated by a dermatologist.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Noticed a thin, faint, brown line under index fingers. Is melanoma a hereditary disease? 7 hours later
Even if the line is a very faint brown there should be some concern? These lines seem to be new. I have not noticed them before. It doesn't seem like they are changing, but I did notice that they appeared. Im not sure if I should be concerned or not. My dad is doing well. They recently told us that there are "spots" on the lungs and liver.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
If the line is not dense then may be it is some pigmentation in nail plate.
Your dermatologist can tell for sure whether it is in the nail plate or a subungual one.
You should take a close up photograph to keep a record of size shape and color.
You can send the photograph to me also in a follow up query for viewing.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you a good health.