Noticed a squishy mass located on neck near lymph nodes, movable and painless. Express concern?

I noticed a squishy mass located on the left side of my daughters neck...not where her lymph nodes are but lower and farther back. It is about 2 inches long and 3/4 inches wide....very moveable, does not hurt her and has soft texture. She is almost 6 years old and has not been ill this past month. She can move her head in all directions and has no pain. I am concerned of course. Any answers please??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I do understand your concern.
The lump that you have described in your daughter’s case could be arising from a variety of structures. The exact nature of the lump can be decided only after a proper physical examination and an ultrasound of the related area.
The lump could be enlarged lymph nodes, lipoma, dermoids etc.
Enlarged lymph nodes are a possibility, even though she has not been ill in the recent past. There are 4 rings of lymph nodes in chains and circles all over the neck except in the front. Lymph nodes are frequently enlarged during infections and painless enlarged lymph nodes suggest a long standing or chronic infection. The infection could be in the ears, scalp or in the throat. A fine needle aspiration cytology or a biopsy of the lump would be needed if there is a suspicion of a long standing infection.
Lipomas are benign tumors of fat cells and are harmless. They are usually removed only for cosmetic reasons.
I would suggest that you see her physician and get her thoroughly examined. Appropriate investigations would then help us start the best treatment for her.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I shall be available for follow up queries.