Noticed a small white bump at the back of throat. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
I just noticed a small white bump at the back of my throat and for several weeks the roof of my mouth has been feeling like I drank something to hot and got burned but I do not see any spots or anything! What could this be?! My glands do not feel swollen and I have not had a fever! My throat does not feel sore it just has a throbbing pain! I also have been drinking water like crazy because my throat has been so dry!! I am very scared!
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The white bump you see on the throat could be either micro-abscess present over the tonsils or an inflamed lymphoid follicle.

If you can send us a snapshot of the lesion we will be able to help you in a better way.

To explain to in detail regarding both of these conditions:

1. Tonsils have multiple crypts wherein the food materials will get lodged into these crevices. The food lodged thus gets infected with the bacteria feasting over these retained food material. If there is continued assault over the mucosa or lowered immunity levels an abscess or an infective process sets in due to which there will sore throat, fever, difficulty in swallowing, etc.

2. Similarly, there are numerous lymphoid follicles in the oral cavity which will get inflamed following throat infection, which gives rise to cobblestone appearance. During the infective process there will be coating over these follicles which will make it appear like whitish swellings.

Whatever may be the above situation the treatment remains the same. My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Avoid chilled/hot food and beverages
3. Avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/fried food
4. Use Povidone iodine throat spray/gargles
5. A potent anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac)

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Noticed a small white bump at the back of throat. What could this be? 27 minutes later
The bump is too far back in my throat to get a snapshot because I have to really depress my tongue in order to see it! And my throat is not sore - it just has a throbbing pain on the right side where the bump is. However what about the roof of my mouth being sore for so long - several weeks!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

If the lesion is located over the pharyngeal wall (as per your description), then it is an infected lymphoid follicle, enlarged and infected secondary to the pharyngeal infection.

The soreness in the throat is a symptom of pharyngeal infection. Do not worry! It is relatively harmless. Just follow my advice as mentioned in my previous post you will be definitely alright. If the symptoms do not improve even with the above measures, then you will require a course of potent oral antibiotics.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon