Noticed a small red to white bump in the throat. Feeling tickling. What could this be?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi! I eat a lot of nuts...sunflower seeds corn nuts pistachios cashews. Last Saturday I felt like I had something stuck in throat. Used my finger to try to get it out. After much time trying I used my finger nail and was able to get what looked like a small amt of chewed sunflower seeds. Sunday afternoon had same feeling while eating pistachios. Stuck finger in throat area and felt a pea size bump. Its located on the right side. Looks like just before you go down the throat. Sister inlaw looked at it Sunday and said it looked a little red. Today she said there is a little white. It seems to have shrunt in size. Maybe the size of a small pea. I noticed that if I massage the area just below my right earlobe I feel a tickling sensation in my throat that makes me feel like I want to cough or in some cases gag. What could all of this be? How long will it take to go away? What can I do for it? Thanks. Kim-
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common area in the throat where food debris gets stuck is the tonsillar crypts.

2. The surface of the palatine tonsils is covered with crypts. The largest and deepest of these is consistently present at the upper pole of the tonsil and known as the Crypta Magna.

3. These crypts are designed to pick up food debris as we swallow. The special lymphoid tissue analyses the trapped food particles and helps in the development of immunity. This process is especially important till around five years of age.

4. As the trapped food decays, the area may appear white and sometimes on compressing the tonsil, a cheesy white material may be extruded. Tonsilloliths are hardened long standing concretions.

5. If you can attach a close-up image, it will be possible to confirm the exact location.

6. The ear lobe sensation is a referred sensation due to common nerve supply.

7. No specific treatment is available. You should get this examined if you cannot upload a picture. Frequent cleaning while brushing your teeth and medicated mouth washes may help. If there is halitosis (bad breath) or if it is very frequent, tonsillectomy may be advised.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed a small red to white bump in the throat. Feeling tickling. What could this be? 8 hours later
Hi- I uploaded 2 pictures. This is the best I can take. Hopefully you can see what I am talkimg about. Also...How long will it take for this to go away> Is there anything I can do? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. From the images, it appears that there is some inflammation and redness just in front of the upper tonsil. If you can XXXXXXX the spot where the food gets stuck, it will be helpful.

2. This congestion of the anterior pillar of the tonsil may be due to constant feeling an cleaning with a finger.

3. The area is consistent with a Tonsillolith. Get this examined by a local ENT specialist or a Dentist.

4. Follow the above mentioned instructions. The duration of symptoms varies from person to person.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed a small red to white bump in the throat. Feeling tickling. What could this be? 1 hour later
i was rubbing the red area and the area just past the reddish area towards the throat. food is no longer getting stuck. the reddish area feels like a tiny pea and of course since im anxious by nature im constantly touching it to see if it has disappeared. you say to get examined by an ENT or dentist. is there something i should be worried about or can i calm down now? i will most likely see a dentist next week to fill a molar on the same side on top where i lost a filling. i dont want to have to worry for another week. thank yu for all your advice. greatly appreciated. kim-

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no cause for worry.

2. The red congested area in the images seems to be inflamed due to constant touching and probing. Seems my conjecture was correct. this is then common. If the food was getting stuck beyond this area towards the throat, then it is consistent with the tonsil area. Unless you XXXXXXX the area in an image, it is difficult to pinpoint as in a routine direct patient examination. This is just a limitation of online consultation. That's all, just to be doubly sure. Hence there is no cause for alarm.

3. I could not see any food debris, which is why I recommended a check-up. If the food particles have stopped accumulating, it is a good sign.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed a small red to white bump in the throat. Feeling tickling. What could this be? 14 minutes later
thank you. im feeling a little better. what type of doc are you? i may have another question for you. thanks again. Kim-

Thank you for writing back.

1. I am an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) and Head & Neck Surgeon.

2. You can follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed a small red to white bump in the throat. Feeling tickling. What could this be? 9 minutes later
i think one last question. how is this bump in my mouth going to go away? thank you. kim-

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If no further food particles get stuck, you may expect this lump to settle in a couple of weeks.

2. If this does not settle quickly on it's own, medication may be prescribed by your doctor. Avoid touching the area or feeling it frequently with the tongue.

Regards.

thank you. i just returned from the doc. she said she didnt see any food particles and said it was trauma from me "digging" to remove food particle that were stuck. she recommended gargling with salt water 4 times a day and it should be gone within the week. thank you for all of your help and support. kim-

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Good to hear that. This should subside soon. Remember to get examined immediately if this happens again.

Regards.