Noticed a small red, flesh colored bump on tonsil. No soreness. What can it be?

ENT Specialist
I noticed a small red/flesh colored bump about 3mm in diameter on my right tonsil with similar bumps on my left lingual tonsil. I have had them for over six weeks with no change. I have no soreness or other symptoms. What can this be?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The appearance, size, exact location of the bumps, behavior, growth rate or a close up image will help give a better understanding as to the nature of these masses.

2. A differential will include mostly benign conditions such as areas of lymphoid hypertrophy, accessory lymphoid tissue, inflamed minor salivary gland tissue, anti-inflammatory agents and medicated gargles. If there is no improvement, an excision biopsy and a histopathological examination which will reveal the true diagnosis of the bump. As long as it is a limited mass, surgery will be minor. You may follow up with the HPE report here.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.