Noticed a lump in throat. What this could be?

Dec 2012

Hi I have noticed a lump in my throat that I can feel when I sneeze and drink
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This could be related to a throat tumor

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

If you are having a lumpy feeling in your throat which recently occurred (i.e has not been existing there for long), then it is likely due to an infection which predisposed to a benign throat tumor (also important--given your age--that a doctor should rule out a malignant throat tumor)
A common benign tumor of the larynx/throat is laryngeal papillomatosis. This condition is caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV. Between 60 and 80 percent of all cases of laryngeal papillomatosis are found in children but alsos occur in adults), although the causes and reasons for spread of the virus are largely unknown. There are over 60 identified strains of the HPV virus that can cause papillomatosis. If the lump is found just behind the tongue then the tumors could be due to tonsils or uvula (you need a throat exams for confirmation).
Given your age plus the fact that you are experiencing no pain, it is important to rule out a throat cancer which is a very probable cause.
Ones the type of lump is identified, then an ENT specialist will be able to indicate the appropriate treatment.
If you do have any information you wish to include such as smoking history, alcohol consumption, exposure to materials such as asbestos or other cancer-causing environmental substances etc so I may able to help decipher (without necessarily examining you) exactly what the cause of the lump might be.

Will be looking forward to hear from you with feedback/follow-up query.
Dr. Nsah