Noticed a hard painless lump on inside gum near teeth. Underlying cause?

I have just noticed a hard painless lump on my inside gum near my teeth
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Please, can you provide me with your age, sex and whether you smoke or not. Also, whether you chew tobacco.
Also, I will appreciate if you can tell me whether this mass bleeds or you have ever experience something like this before. This is to help me provide a more personalised than generic information to you.
Dr. Ditah
Follow-up: Noticed a hard painless lump on inside gum near teeth. Underlying cause? 12 hours later
I do not smoke. I am 44 female. Never had before. Under teeth near molar. Feels like boney lump. Looked up on internet and found info tusk?? And quite common?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 50 minutes later
Thank you so much for following up and answering my questions.

From the information you have provided, the risk of you having a cancerous lesion from what you described is very very unlikely. The most plausible cause of what you described is a torus. It is named depending on where it is located. They are generally regarded as developmental abnormalities but they do not show up until in later in adulthood. They generally don't require any treatment unless they cause symptoms of discomfort and the client request for their surgical removal. It is relative common and abou1/10 persons in the USA has this.

The common causes of masses in the mouth are chronic irritations, However, nothing in you suggests this and more so because you are not putting on any dental prostheses that could suggest this.
Others like pyogenous granuloma/mucocele/cyst/fibroma are out of place because you have not reported any possible signs or symptoms that points towards this.

However, please plan and XXXXXXX with your dentist to get this swelling examined so that the exact diagnosis can be made and possible solutions proposed to you according to the findings and tests is any are done.

I hope you find this information helpful. If there are any more specific related questions to this, please feel free to ask them and I will be glad to address them
D. Ditah, MD