Noticed a hard lump under the skin. Lumps moves around while touching. Is this serious?

Jul 2012

I just noticed a hard lump under the skin on my four year old daughter. It moves around when I touch it. It where her bikini line meets the leg on the right side. She says it doesn't hurt and the skin isn't discolored. She does not have insurance.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
I understand your concern & empathise with you given your daughter is 4 years old.
However the lump you describe, is most likely a mobile local lymph node of the region. Sometimes these get enlarged with any mild inflammation of the area or on account of any inflammation in its drainage region eg leg on the right side ? minor trauma etc. Most often this is an insiduous occurence & will not be any issue. Relax. I would advice leave it alone for now & 'observe'. If in 2-4 weeks, you feel this lump has increased in size or others have sprung up, then please take her across to a paediatric surgeon for an asessment & perhaps an FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) will clear the air sans any surgical intervention.
Trust this has calmed your nerves & have pointed you in the direction of an informed deciscion. Do hope all is well & your little one continues to enjoy good health! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD