Noticed a flat black spot under the skin and top of labia minora. What could it be?

Question
I noticed a flat black spot under the skin and top of my labia minora (upper side, right by the urethra) . I have no clue how long it has been there, it doesn't hurt or itch. It just looks dark and scary.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for the query

It can be a birth XXXXXXX or mole or can be due to hyperkeratosis of the skin due to friction.Just observe it , if it increases in size or there is an itching then you need biopsy so it is better to show it to a gynaecologist and dematologist as without seeing it, it is very difficult to reach to a diagnosis.Till then keep it moist by applying lubricants and do not wear tight underclothes.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Noticed a flat black spot under the skin and top of labia minora. What could it be? 13 hours later
I found a very similar picture in the internet. The black spot is completely flat, and it doesn't feel any different from the rest of the skin. Should I be worry? I have a attached the picture in the report section.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 hours later
Hello

Welcome once again

I saw the picture , it doesn't look like a mole but looks like a urethral caruncle or dermatosis of labial skin. You are too young for the caruncle so my diagnosis goes in favor of hyperkeratosis of skin.You can do hot sitz bath and apply local anti-inflammatory creams but it is better to show it to a gynaecologist.

Best wishes