Noticed a dark patch on leg. Why is it growing? Why are there red spots? Can I travel?

I noticed a dark oblong patch on the outside of my leg several years ago. It has been gradually growing bigger and indenting more and more. today I noticed a whole lot of red spots on it, around it and spreading to the back. I'm concerned. Going to Mexica in less than a week and wonder if I should be outside ... worried
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

I have gone through your query and photos.

There is nothing to be worried.

Photos however are not very clear.

First thing that comes to my mind is allergic contact dermatitis. We can do a trial of simple over the counter anti-histamines and calamine lotion application can help and relieve in three days.

However, in order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following parameters:
Is it the first time you are having this type of rash?

Do you have any known food allergy/history of wheals/ contact allergy/ drug allergies?

Is any family member having similar condition ?

Do you have a fever / any other complaints?

Are they associated with any other complaints?

Do you have similar lesions at any other site?

Will it be possible for you to upload better images taken under sunlight / good lighting? (distant/close up/lateral view)

I am confident that I can give you a better opinion with the above details.

Awaiting your reply.
Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Noticed a dark patch on leg. Why is it growing? Why are there red spots? Can I travel? 12 hours later
I took more pictures outside. I have had this for years but now it has red/dark bumps and appears to be spreading to the back of my calf. I have small white bumbs/small all over my legs. they seem to be from shaving. But, the area I am concerned about is 'definitly' different. Very noticibale indentation, darkness and the new spots/bumbs. New photos attached.

No fever
No one else in family
No alergies that I am aware of
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the information.

I have seen the photo.

The lesions are suggestive of dermatitis.

It can be due to allergic contact dermatitis.

You can try application of aloe vera lotion twice a day and tab. zyrtec twice daily for 7 days.

It should resolve by seven days.

If the lesions persist or spread then a visit to your dermatologist would be required.

He can do a physical examination of skin lesions and few prescription medicines can be given.

Hope I’ve answered your query.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan