Noticed a bump far from penis and shaft. Tender to touch after popping. What could it be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I came across a bump or pimple on my pubic area yesterday far from my penis and shaft. Today I popped it and it is still tender to the touch. I had protected sex last week and was wondering if it was an STD. I am very concerned. I am wondering. though, if it is folliculitis because there are two hairs growing out of it in the middle. I have also attached a picture. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you had protective sex, you might be likely to have a STD manifestation rarely over sites other than entire penis as it is protected well during intercourse.
Pimple like eruption can occur only with Herpes Type 2 infection among STDs.
As is an isolated lesion (not grouped as in Herpes) and it is more a pustule rather than vesicle (contains clear fluid), yours is very much unlikely to be due to Genital Herpes infection.
It is looking more towards a hair folliculitis as you mentioned and it will be cleared easily with a course of an antibiotic (to avoid recurrences) and by using some anti septic soaps.Nothing to worry.
If you consult your physician he/she will guide you in this regard.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan