Noticed a big bump like spider bite, having joint pain and neck and shoulder pain. Suffer upset stomach and chills. What can this be?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I think I was bitten by some type of spider when I was sleeping. I remember waking up to the feeling of something on me, so I scratched it away. I know I felt something there but didn't think it was a spider. It wasn't until I developed a red bump that got bigger that I started wondering if it could of been a spider. It looked like a big pimple or white head since it has a liter color center. Now that's it's been a few days I'm having what seems like nerve or joint paint in neck & shoulder sometimes it travels down my left arm. I wasn't able sleep last night, my neck & should drove me crazy. I have an upset stomach and fill chills from times. Whats weird is the bite is on my lower abdomen, not to far from where I hade Hernia surgery around a year ago.

There is some type of fluid sack under bite or bump and I've tried squeezing it out but only got some white creamy stuff or blood. I did pinch it with my finger nails to break it open enough to get some kind of drainage. Not sure if this was a good idea but I thought I had a big zit or white head. I don't know if I should go to a doctor. What do you think? Is it a waste of time and money?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 39 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
From the description, I don't think there is any link or relationship between the unknown bite (propably spider as per your description) and the symptoms in your neck and shoulder.

Most of the spider bites are harmless and are usually self limiting. At times the toxins produced by the spiders bite may cause headache, muscle and joint pains associated with vomitings, fever with chills. But all these symptoms will be seen immediately and generally on the day of the bite itself. The only bite that needs a bit of concern is BLACK WIDOW SPIDER's bite. Its venom is NEUROTOXIC . WITHIN FEW HOURS of the bite, one may experience severe cramps in the shoulders,lower back,abdomen & thighs associated with increased blood pressure, vomitings and difficulty in breathing.

I don't think you have all the above said presentation of symptoms to suspect a spider's bite. I believe that you have CERVICAL DISC DISEASE which might be causing you pain in the neck,shoulder and radiating down the arm.

The initial management of cervical disc disease is as follows -
Rest: A collar will prevent unguarded movement; A soft cervical collar is advisable. However, it seldom needs to be worn for more than a week or two.

Medicines: Analgesic are needed in the acute phase. Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasms which follow acute pain.

Cervical Traction: may enlarge the disc space, permitting the prolapse to subside. Intermittent cervical traction for not more than 30 minutes at a time. Weight upto 8kg can be added.

Physiotherapy: Once the acute phase of pain has subsided, Isometric strengthening exercises of the paravertebral muscles are started. Ice, moist heat can be applied.

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above mentioned steps, then consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow his advice.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any further clarification.

Follow-up: Noticed a big bump like spider bite, having joint pain and neck and shoulder pain. Suffer upset stomach and chills. What can this be? 12 minutes later
What the hell is this red bump that has only gotten bigger since I notice it. It had a white circle or bump in the middle and seems to big to be a pimple.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 minutes later
Hi, the big bump is the local allergic inflammatory reaction to the unknown sting or bite. Use of some ANTI HISTAMINE prepartions for 3-5 days will cause regression of the reddish,itchy rash.

Hope this helps.