Ask a Urologist   »  

Notice round purple-red spot at the bottom of penis head. What it could be?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi there - I am a 27 year old male with a small, round purple-red spot at the bottom of my penis head. It's been there for a little while and hasn't changed much. It's just a little unusual to see. I have never had intercourse, only oral, and this spot causes me no pain or awareness. If you notice, there are some smaller purple dots around it too. Any ideas of what it could be? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Thank you for uploading an image.
At your age, the most probable diagnosis is--Fordyce spots. They are harmless, small (1-5mm) bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans, shaft or scrotum. They appear for unknown reasons and usually consist of abnormally dilated blood vessels, covered by thickened skin.
No treatment is needed for this condition as its totally harmless.
Hope that addresses your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.