Notice pain and numbness in arm. Taking ibuprofen 600mg. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
For the past few days I've had a dull ache that starts in my upper inner arm area near the armpit that extends down my arm to varying degrees. The 2nd day the ache persisted plus I noticed numbness down the outside of my arm from the elbow into my ring and 5th fingers. Now it's back to just a dull discomfort in the upper inner arm. At first I attributed it to carrying something heavy the day before but it didn't resolve like a muscle strain would. Then after sleeping with my left arm tucked under my pillow, that was the day I described above as the 2nd day symptoms. I'm using ibuprofen 600 mg twice a day and it temporarily gets me back to normal feeling in my arm. It's just concerning me that this isn't resolving more quickly. Do I need to be worried?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.Numbness noticed might be due to pressure over nerve fibres.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fermentation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation(you are already taking this). You can take nerve soothers like Methylcobalamin supplements after consulting your doctor.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.