Not taking marijuana regularly. Does exercises but dropped in studies. What is the prevention?

person claims he is not regular user of Marijuna...but we find the weeds often ..he goes for good exercise but dropped badly in studies how do we get him before he becomes full addict
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine screening for THC will be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Cannabis frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

After single time use of Marijuana, THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 days), blood (2-3days) and nail (6 months). So urine screening for THC can be done in his case to monitor Marijuana use.

De addiction in any form is difficult task and frequently require help of professionals like de addiction specialist or Psychiatrist.

In his de addiction treatment following steps will be helpful:
-Motivation enhancement sessions of patient and assessment of motivation of person by specialist.
-Keep patient motivation during treatment by providing empathic and supportive environment.
-Check and Monitor Marijuana use by urine screening in empathic way, so that patient do not develop idea that family members do not trust him.
-Check the pocket money, so that he would not able to buy Marijuana.
-He may need medical treatment for psychological symptoms which is very common with Marijuana use.

Frequently de addiction take time, which differ patient to patient. Same time there is need to provide supervised but supportive environment for the patient.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish Mittal, MD
Follow-up: Not taking marijuana regularly. Does exercises but dropped in studies. What is the prevention? 1 hour later
let me do THC test as suggested by you..can I take sample and go request lab or do they need Doc's prescription...
is there anyway I can stop him from using apart from counselling... any medication is available..
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to check with lab for test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

In general you should inform patient about the lab test. Need of doctor prescription for test differ lab to lab. You can check it by contacting nearby lab on phone.

There is no medicine to cause aversion for Marijuana, but medical management may be needed for withdrawal or psychological symptoms, for which evaluation by physician is necessary.

Hope this will help you to some extent.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.