Not sure about having a vagus nerve schwanomma removal surgery. Will life be normal after this surgery?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi! I have a surgery set up for next week and I don't know if I should have it or not because there will be life long side effects to having the surgery but if I do not have surgery they told me I will still have the same side effects happen but also things may get worse because of the location. They are removing a vagus nerve schwanomma. I have spoken to doctors all over the country and they basically all say the same things but I still am not sure of my doctors here however, I think it may be easier recovering closer to home. If this surgery will cause such problems afterwards do I just have to come to terms that I will have a new "normal" in life. I just dont want to die and I still want to have children.... help!
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 8 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

From your history, I understand that you have Vagus nerve Schwanomma. Schwanomma is benign tumor and usually do not recur after surgery or cause any complication. But, there is a chance that it can recur. It is difficult to predict about recurrence of tumor or the side effects.

I need to know the exact location, size and extent of tumor to suggest you better. It would be great if you share your investigations with me.

Waiting for your reply to guide you better.