Not sexually active, itchy penis. Applied candidol, reduced itching, black and blue skin around penis. Cause?

Question
i am 56 years olds, and not sexually active. the last few weeks my penis has been itchy. i assumed that my diet was the cause, since i bathe regularly. my wife found a website that said it was a common issue with men and she purchased "candidol". for about a week i have used the candidol and the itching has drastically been reduced. i just stepped out of the shower and was shocked to notice a black and blue XXXXXXX around the ring of my penis. what is going on?!
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
The black and blue ring that you have noticed is likely to be due to an inflammation of the penis head or balanitis.
It may happen due to poor hygiene or use of Harsh soaps which has not been washed. Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems be serious.
Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflammed part of the penis might help reduce the problem.
In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the discolored areas of the penis and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for a examination and STD testing might be helpful in such a situation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.