Not reached adulthood. Got raped. Lost hymen?

Hi Dr,

My sister get raped by a guy twice and she's 13 years old. And she's still didn't reach the adulthood. Does it mean she lost her hymn or she's a child?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

I completely understand your concern and I hope to help you in the same.

Now it is important as to whether there was complete intercourse or insertion of the male organ during the act.
In most cases, whenever there is complete insertion , it does lead to a tear in the hymen.
But since your sister is very young at present, I would advise you not to be very apprehensive about the same. She has a long time to go before there are issues of settling and all.

It is important for you to understand that a break of hymen is not only related with a sexual activity.
Breakage of hymen or some kind of tears can also occur normally during any kind of strenuous activities which can include activities as simple as running, cycling or swimming.

So my advise would be to not worry about the hymen, but make sure you protect her from other dangers in the form of an unwanted pregnancy (if she has started her monthly cycles) and acquisition of other STD's.

Hope it helps. If there is any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Not reached adulthood. Got raped. Lost hymen? 55 minutes later
If she get married in the future will her husband know that she had sex?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Now this is something which is very difficult to predict. He might or he might not.

In some cases, the hymen just develops a single tear which might just be a small insignificant one after an intercourse; while in some cases there is development of multiple tears.
Also it has also been reported that sometimes the hymen just does not break even after an intercourse.

Although your sister is quite young at present, it is possible that some degree of remodelling place so that after years it might be difficult to actually make out if it is a torn hymen.

Hope it helps
DR Geetika Paul.