Not planning for baby. Taken Ipill, had bleeding. No periods yet. If Pregnant, what to do?

Mar 2013
Hello doctor, i am 24 year old female. i am married for past 6 months. my period are regular and it is 30 day cycle. it starts on 23rd of a month. my last periods were on 23rd of april and on may 3rd i had an i-pill even after a protected sex. i had a menstural bleeding again on 9th may lasting for 4 days which was dark in colour after ipill.Now i am waiting for my periods considering 9 XXXXXXX as my date. till now, i have not got my periods and i am worried as i dont want to conceive. during the period from 12th may to XXXXXXX 5th, me and my husband have had protected sex with condom and there was no brekage or slip. my questions are
1. when can i expect my periods now and which day should consider 9th or 23rd.?
2.if i want to take preganancy test, when can i take.?
3.if test kit is negative, what are the other test i should take to ruleout pregancy other than test kit for accuracy?
4.tablets to get the period and to make it normal cycle?
5.if test are positive, treatment option?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
The I pill notoriously interferes with your menstrual cycle.
It causes irregular bleeding / spotting and can prepone or postpone your normal cycle by a week or more.
To answer your questions now one by one -

1. If you had a proper bleed for 4 days on 9th of May, you should consider your expected periods to be on 9th of XXXXXXX however as I said, there is no rule of thumb for this.
2. You can definitely take a pregnancy test right away.
3. The other tests for accuracy are - blood B HCG test and pelvic transvaginal ultrasound, both after consultation with a gynecologist.
4. The medications depend on the test results and findings of the ultrasound. If it is merely a delayed or irregular cycles, generally progesterone tablets or oral contraceptive pills are given to regulate the period, however these are prescription drugs, and cannot be prescribed online without proper examination of the patient.
5. If the test is positive, please consult a gynecologist. She would date the pregnancy in weeks, and prescribe medical abortion pills or advise surgical abortion accordingly.

Please do not use I pill as far as possible in future. It is not a substitute for regular contraceptives.
Wish you luck
Feel free to discuss further
Follow-up: Not planning for baby. Taken Ipill, had bleeding. No periods yet. If Pregnant, what to do? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor. should i do the preganacy test with only the morning urine sample or can i do it with the urine sample collected any time of the day. Hoping that i have not concceived, what is the percentage of chances that i might have conceived.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
With protected sex plus use of emergency contraceptives, chances of conception are low, I cannot give you a percentage. I pill is more than 95 % effective if taken within 12 hours.
Please perform the test following all instructions, the first being that it has to be conducted on a morning sample urine.
All the best.
Follow-up: Not planning for baby. Taken Ipill, had bleeding. No periods yet. If Pregnant, what to do? 22 hours later
Good evening doctor. Today morning i conducted preganacy test with morning sample urine. It was negative. I used velocit easy kit as well as Ican with all the instruction carefully. Now i want to know how long should i wait for the periods and if its not happening in a particular dates as you suggest, what medication i should go with or should i go for further test to rule out again.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
As the test is negative, as I mentioned earlier, please consult a Gynecologist.
You need proper XXXXXXX check up and ultrasound to rule out causes of the delayed period.
Causes could be stress, anxiety, emotional turbulence, hectic travelling, recent weight gain, ingestion of other medications etc.
Polycystic ovaries, hypothyroidism , endometrial imbalance, also could such a picture.
The medication generally given, as I earlier too said, is progesterone tablets, or oral contraceptive pills, to regulate the cycle, however, they are prescription drugs to be taken only after seeing a specialist.
All the best, XXXXX