Not overweight. When wearing sandals or flip flops, have pains as cannot bear weight. Advise?

I am a 49 year old female in good health -play tennis and am not overweight. When I wear closed toe shoes I'm fine but if I wear sandals or flip flops, after about an hour the third and fourth toes on my R foot cannot bear weight and feel like the bones are not supporting my toes. It feels like pinching and is very painful. What is going on?

Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is fundamental, especially in your case to put on shoes that allow your feet to be perfectly free. Choosing an appropriate shoe size and type is of utmost importance.

It could be important to know exactly when you started experiencing such symptoms. There are cases when people have silent lesions, at times fractures of the tarsals(small bones of the feet) that do express themselves as mild pain, and grow gradually in intensity as time goes on). It might be worth while getting appropriate X rays with specified incidences as would be prescribed by an orthopedist. A careful clinical examination by an orthopedist is my advice. Good cotton sports shoes for tennis are advisable.

It is very important to get these silent tarsal fractures excluded with these x rays, and confronted with results of a good clinical examination. Also, appropriate shoes for tennis are advised. It is good you are taking calcium. If you are in Menopause already, it might necessary to control your blood Calcium and Vitamin D levels, in order to take appropriate doses depending on the results.

Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Will be honored contributin my bit to your well being.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.