Not on regular birth control. Had unprotected sex. Had spotting after Ipill. What now?

My last period started on April 27, 2012. The next 2 days I had unprotected sex (Husband is in military and we do not see each once in 2-3 months for just a couple of days so I do not use a regular birth control method, or he uses protection). However, within 24 hours of each instance I took an iPill. I'm not a regular iPill user (maybe once in 7 months or so). My period flow became lesser and I experienced some spotting for the following four-five days.

Now, I'm about a week overdue and I've taken two home pregnancy tests both of which have been negative. I'm wondering what could be the cause, since I don't feel pregnant and have no pregnancy symptoms. I'm 29, 5ft 3 and weigh 80 kgs.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Not on regular birth control. Had unprotected sex. Had spotting after Ipill. What now? 33 minutes later
Also, just wanted to add, I've been regularly checked for TSH and in touch with an endocrinologist for the same. I'm on 125mcg of Eltroxin daily.

Abortion in first instance was with MTP kit and it failed after 2 attempts so I had to undergo a Suction and Evacuation to clear the contents of the uterus.

First miscarriage was because of high thyroid horomone levels in the body and second miscarriage/abortion was because it was too close to the first miscarriage (within 6 weeks) and doctor did not advise that we go ahead with the pregnancy.

Periods have always been pain-less with normal flow (heavy on days 1-3 and low on 4-5) with regular 28 day cycles. Only lately, the flow has reduced to 4 days and become lesser with primarily days 1-2 are fine but there is very little bleeding on the last two days.

A baby at this stage would be welcome but since my husband is still away on duty, we want be living together for more than a few days before we conceive.

Thanks, your help/suggestions are much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 minute later

After i-pill intake, the successive cycle becomes irregular (like overdue in your case).

Wait for 1 week, repeat pregnancy test, if it turns out negative get examined by local Gynaecologist and she may give you hormonal tablet for menses to happen.

Also check your thyroid status as abnormal thyroid function also leads to menstrual irregularity.

I also wish to inform you that i-pill is not 100% successful in preventing pregnancy so it should not be used as an alternative to routine contraceptive.

Hope I have been of help to you. Please do write back to me in case of any other specific queries that you may have.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Not on regular birth control. Had unprotected sex. Had spotting after Ipill. What now? 16 hours later

Thanks for responding. I understand that the iPill is not a replacement and don't use it much. Primarily, we use condoms but this time, we just didn't have any around.

My thyroid dosage and function is regularly checked, every 6-9 months so I'm aware that it has been normal.

I got my period this morning.

I'm also wondering, since I'm approaching 30 years of age, what are the chances of becoming pregnant in the 30s? We are planning to start trying to conceive in a years' time from now. I would ideally like to lose weight before I become pregnant as I am quite scared that my weight will get out of control and become very high, posing a risk to my health later, if I become pregnant at the current weight.

Please let me know, given my thyroid and other history regarding one missed carriage and abortion(s), what all should we feel concerned about, while trying to conceive and also during pregnancy. Also, my husband is Thalassemic (we don't know about me), will that have any impact on the pregnancy/child?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 27 hours later
In preconception time, one should take healthy diet and have healthy life style. In your case my suggestion is to lose weight, may be 10 kg in one year. Check your thalassemia status, as your partner has thalassemia minor (carrier I guess) so it may affect your pregnancy. Before conception your thyroid levels should be controlled. In early 30's chances of conception are fair. Take folic acid tablet 5 mg per day before conception.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes