Not having periods for a long time. Started taking menoquil tablets. What to do? Looking for suggestion

May 2013
Hi Doctor,
I just started taking menoquil tablets to ease he symptoms and I still got ovaries but I have not having periods for a long time now.i have gone for a ultrasound scan and my ovaries were normal size but there was no activity regarding ovulation / periods.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later

usually menopause occurs around 45 to 50 years of age, but sometimes that can occur early also which is called premature menopause, if there is cessation of periods for 1 year then it can be said that menopause has occurred,

in menopause usually the function of ovary ceases and size decreases, the endometrial layer also gets thinned out,
but in early stages of menopause these changes may not be evident,

so, to confirm menopause you can consider below factors with your doctor's advice,
-if you are not having periods since one year,
-if urine or saliva test for FSH shows elevated levels( >25mIU/ml in perimenopause, >50mIU/ml in menopause),
-if salivary estrogen levels shows < 30,
-if having familial history of premature menopause,
then there is possibility for menopause.

the efficacy of menoquil tablets is told by manufacturers only, so before using any tablets consult gynecologist once and in case of proved menopause better to go for symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.