Not had intercourse and missing periods. What could be causing this?

My name is XXXXXXX, I am 19 years old. I just moved from Denmark to USA 3 months ago. I am a little worried, beacuse I haven't had my period for almost 2 months - I think. I'm not 100 % sure when I had it last time, but I think that it's soon 2 months ago. I know that I can't be pregnant because I'm still a virgin and I haven't been sexual active with a boy before. Is it normalt that I can have a break in my period or should I be worried and go to a doktor?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 30 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This is not an uncommon problem. Trusting that you are a virgin, I will not suggest a pregnancy test. Normally, when women ovulate (produce an egg mid-cycle) there is a very predictable withdrawl bleed about two weeks later. If there is any disruption or absent ovulation, this bleeding does not occur.

This could be as simple as stress related to the move, or it could remain unexplained, as it is not such an uncommon event. There are other causes, such as thyroid disease, that can also play a role.

What I would recommend is as follows:
1. Ask someone for a referral to an OB/GYN
2. Schedule a visit to discuss whether testing for thyroid disease or other endocrine problems is indicated
3. Consider going back on birth control pills for cycle regulation
4. If you don't want to be on the pill, then a short course of progesterone will usually "induce" a period.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions. Good luck!