Ask a Urologist   »  

Not getting rigidity of penis for penetration. Have high cholesterol, enlarged prostrate. Taking fibator LS, urimax, nafudil, flotral. Advice?

Dear Doctor,
I am 60 years old male from India. My height is 178 cm and weight is 68 Kg, with normal blood pressure and no complaints of blood sugar. I was detected for high Cholesterol in the tune of 281 mg/dl during 2010. Since then I am on Fibator LS 1 tablet daily. With that my Cholesterol level is 158 mg/dl.
Apart from that I was detected for enlarged Postrate . During 2005 the size was 43 gm . At present the size is 21 gm. PSA is 1.85. PVR : 33ml. Since the detectection of BPH , I have been taking various medicines as prescribed by various doctors time to time. The list includes Urimax-0.5 mg/ Alfusin-10 mg/ Nafudil-50 mg/Flotral-D/ Flotral . At present I am taking Flotral 10mg( Prolonged-release Alfuzosin Tab BP) daily at bed time.
My Uroflometry result is as follows:
Qmax -18.3 ml/s, Voiding time :62 sec, Flow time : 59 sec, Qavg : 9.2 ml/s Time to XXXXXXX flow : 20 s.
On consuming these medicines for quite some time I am facing serious sexual problem . I do not get rigidity of penis for penetration. My family life is getting shattered. No doctor is able to advice me properly. I seek your advice.
AK Sen
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I must acknowledge the fact that its really difficult to manage especially sexual issues in a marital and family context.
Benign prostatic Hypertrophy usually is associated with erectile dysfunction, partly due to the pathology and the drug itself. Management of erectile dysfunction under these circumstances is three fold:
1. It might be necessary to discuss and explain your health, share with your partner. Sufficient foreplay might be required to obtain a good and satisfactory erectile function.
2. Discussing and choosing amongst treatment options to improve sexual function. These options each have advantages and disadvantages at some point in time, and have to be tailored to the needs and particularities of each patients.
Surgical options, especially through Transurethral Retrograde prostatectomy (removal of the prostate through the urethra) or transurethral microwave thermotherapy.
Discussing these issues with your urologist or XXXXXXX could be actually welcome
Sex is however an issue of the mind. Creating a healthy mental state is also very fundamental in ensuring good sexual outcomes. Adequate sleep, vegetable and fruit XXXXXXX diet and avoiding stress are non negligible gateways to improving the quality of erections and sexual performance.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.