Not getting proper sleep. What should I do to get sound sleep?

For the last few months am not getting good sleep .Iam going to bed at 11pm and by 2.30 or 3am am awake and just rolling on the bed till 6am .Please suggest me what to do to get sound sleep till 6am.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 8 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like you to try some general measures first:

1. Regular daily exercises 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week.

Exercise will help you by maintaining the blood sugar levels within range.Also exercise helps in the production of endorphins in the body, which will make you feel good. Exercise helps in promoting good sleep, but preferably do it in the morning or late afternoon.
Immediately after doing exercise you might actually feel active and fresh ,so, avoid doing exercise in the late evenings or night.

2. Sign up for yoga classes, if you have a good yoga instructor in your area.

3. Listen to soothing music.

4. Try relaxation exercises.

5. If there have been other issues disturbing your mind, try to resolve those problems.

6. Don't go to bed at 11 pm . Go to bed only when you feel really sleepy . Use the bed only for sleeping purpose . Do some activities like reading a book etc till you feel sleepy.

7. Don't force yourself to sleep. If you feel you can't sleep even after 30 minutes of being in bed,get up and go out of the bedroom and do some other activity till you feel sleepy.

8. Avoid coffee and alcohol.

9.Get up at the same time every morning regardless of how you slept the previous night.

10. Avoid day time sleeping .

11. Do you snore?
Are your blood sugar levels within normal range?
Are you on any other medications other than Glynase MF?
Are your thyroid levels within range?
Any history of day time sleepiness or fatigue and tiredness during the day?
Any history of anxiety or depression?

Snoring , thyroid disorders, certain medications etc can also cause disturbed sleep /insomnia.

If none of the above measures work for you, I would suggest you visit your physician who might do a couple of investigations and if all tests come back as normal, he might just prescribe a short course of medicine like benzodiazepine, or so,which might help you sleep better.

Hope you have a good night's sleep.

I hope I have answered your queries. If you need any further clarifications, kindly get back to me.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan