Not getting proper sleep. Have diverticula problems. Are these related?

Dec 2012

For the last several days I am not getting timely sleep and a kind of fear comes to my mind which makes me restless and fearful that some thing is not well with me. I also feel that some physical problem I am having. Right upper side of my abdomin I feel I am not quite comfortable. Several times I underwent various scanning tests and they say that I have some DIVERTICULEA problem and nothingelse. I have taken fullcourse treatment in 2010 and also 2012. Even now I feel some
iritating and itching sentation on the right upperside of my abdomin. I also feel a kind of tension and do not like to lie down and get up and come to my computer and work. A kind of fear and restlessness. Please give your advise. I will be thankful If I sleep well in the night. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 minutes later

I will be most delighted to assist you with your psychosocial problem. From your description I can place directly that you are having anxiety disorder, sleep disorder and depression disorder. The fact that you are having abdominal issues is already the main stream to your psychosocial problems.
What to do now?
- First consult a gastroenterologist so he can verify your abdominal problems and give you appropriate treatment. Because the fear of it being serious can also make you worry more
- Take some rest out of work (get a vacation), practice meditation, worry less (be stress free),
- You should get a cognitive behavioral therapy which involves the changing of one's thought by the therapist (psychotherapist).
- Antidepressant medications and anxiolytics should be included in your treatment for a while.
- Get to XXXXXXX some friends (old and new). A little change of your present lifestyle can help you a great deal. You can get to do a hobby.
- For the sleep you can get some sleep tablets such as diazepam or other benzodiazepines to help you with your sleep pattern. Ones you take the drugs at appropriate sleeping time, before you stop, your system must have adapted to the new sleep pattern. Above measures will help for your anxiety, sleep and depression disorders.

Consult with a psychiatrist if problem persist.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah