Not getting pregnant after regular intercourse. Should I be concerned?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Doc
we are trying for a baby from last month. i am 34 this year. my period dates from last three months are 8 December, 8 Janurary and now 11 February.

Should i be concerned that i did not fell preganant after trying for a month.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) SInce you are trying only from one month you dont need to worry. According to definition, you can be called as infertile only if you are not pregnant after for one year without any contraception. Hence you still have time to try.

2) Ovulation occurs generally around 14 days before the cycle. In your case ovulation would have occured around 27 November ( for 8 December cycle), around 26 December ( for 8 January Cycle) and around 29 January (for 11 February cycle).

3) If you have intercourse around 4 to 5 days of ovulation day, you will have high chance of pregnancy. Since you cycle seems to be of about 30 days I recommend you to have intercourse in this cycle from 26 february to 3rd March around which time I expect your ovulation based on dates you have provided.

4) Getting pregnant in one cycle has a chance between 4 to 8 percent only. Hence donot get worried if you are not pregnant after one or two cycles.

5) Since you are 34 years, you might be hurrying up for a pregnancy which is understandable. In that case you may have to undergo few blood tests and scans if you are willing.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Not getting pregnant after regular intercourse. Should I be concerned? 30 minutes later
Thansk Doc
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later

I am happy my answer was useful for you. Please accept my answer and write a review.

I wish you early pregnancy.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist