Not getting period. Have endometriosis & taking danogen. Stopped birth control, pregnancy -ve. Why late in period & is danogen effective in treating endometriosis?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I am 33 year old female and i may have endrometriosis and doctor have suggested me DANOGEN-200mg and i have even stoped taking my birth control pills from 1 month and i have not got my periods till then, i have done pregnancy test it is Negative. Can u pls help me telling that what is the problem i am not getting periods till now? Is danogen can help cure my endrometriosis fully?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

DANOGEN-200 contains a medicine called Danazol which is effective to certai extent in treating endometriosis. I would like to know more about how your doctor came to conclusion of Endometriosis. Let me explain you little about this condition.

Endometriosis is a gynecological medical condition in which cells from the lining of the uterus (endometrium) appear and flourish outside the uterine cavity, most commonly on the ovaries ( called chocolate cyst of ovary).
The uterine cavity is lined by endometrial cells, which are under the influence of female hormones. These endometrial-like cells in areas outside the uterus (endometriosis) are influenced by hormonal changes and respond in a way that is similar to the cells found inside the uterus. Symptoms often worsen with the menstrual cycle.

Diagnosis can be made by ultrasound if lesions are big enough to be seen by scan. If not MRI may be needed. Laparoscopy is diagnostic as well as therapeutic. Treatment can be made during laparoscopy.

Danazol causes alteration in normal menstrual cycle in some women especially when you had taken OCP one month before as it takes time to restore normal HPO axis. Hence you are experiencing the same. It takes some time to restore your menses. Donot worry about it.

Danazol cannot cure the endometriosis but can reduce the endometriosis to a great extent. But recurrence of endometriosis is always a possibility.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for an follow up queries you have.

Follow-up: Not getting period. Have endometriosis & taking danogen. Stopped birth control, pregnancy -ve. Why late in period & is danogen effective in treating endometriosis? 9 hours later
Hi doctor, thanks for the answer. As my problem is approx 1 year old I have done all the test etc . Even MRI on delta3 but nothing is clear all the test were negative and I was having a severe pain before 2-3 days of my cycle but while dygnosis my doctor felt there is something developing outside my uterus line or smthig, so she felt may be it is endometriosis n suggested DANOGEN.iam taking this medicine since 5 months n getting much relief but not fully.Does it creates harmonal problems , how long is the medication or I should go fr some surgery a bit worried ??

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 42 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

Danogen is given approximately for 9 months. Yes it does lead to hormonal variations. but not significant to worry about them.

If you do not find much relief with danogen, you may try diagnostic laparoscopy to check for adhesions, undiagnosed fibroids, etc. Small endometriotic lesions if present can be burnt with electric cautery during laproscopy. We might be able to plan the next line of treatment following this laproscopy.

Kindly see a good Gynec laparoscopic surgeon for diagnostic laparoscopy.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for an follow up queries you have. If all your queries have been answered, please close this discussion.