Not getting hard erection. Is it erectile dysfunction or related to any heart disease?

Hi sir
I am 33 married when in full erection it is very flexible it is not hard i doubt weather i am having an erectile dyfunction it was there with me for last 10 years ididnt give much importance now i need a solution it bothers me a lot i need to know how to test and whom to consult for treatment if any thing is wrong ,my friend tells me it may cause heart disease is it true please advise the same
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

What I can understand from your query is that you are not able to achieve hard erection which is required for intercourse. You are 33 years of age and at this age, any difficulty in getting or maintain an erection is due to psychological reasons in most of the cases.

It can be due to stress or anxiety or the anxiety of non performance which is effecting your erections. It can also be due to unrealistic sexual expectations, which make sex a task rather than a pleasure. I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you. First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any), indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet. Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress.

You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective. If however the symptoms persist then we need to rule out certain medical conditions. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone and neurological causes. Erectile dysfunction does not cause cardiac disease but vice versa is true. Any cardiovascular disease can cause plaque formation and hence erectile dysfunction.

The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil, which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. However it is not safe to take this drug without a doctor’s advise and moreover it is important to rule out these medical conditions as well.

So please consult a urologist if even after the lifestyle modifications you are having weak erections.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.