Ask a Urologist   »  

Not getting full erection. Prescribed tadalafil and nano leo. Are these medicine effective?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have masturbated for last 8 years daily(only once). Now stopped it for last 2 months by strong mental control. But now i am feeling like not getting full erection. Just tried to masturbate, but not getting full erection as before.

Met a doctor, take androlgy panel 1 & 3 tests, also ED test. He told everything normal and blood flow is little less. Prescribed Tadalafil & NANO LEO for one month. But while i read about tadalafil, it only effective while have sexual stimulation. Since I am single, is it effective having tadalafl, even i wont have any sexual intercourse?

I am planning to marry after 8 months. Am i eligble to marry. Everytime this thought(worry) only going in mind.

Please help me to find a solution.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Erection do not get affected by masturbation in long term. Masturbation is not harmful for health and more than 80% man and woman masturbate in some point of the time. In present situation if you are not masturbating more than 3-4 times per week than there is no problem, even it is better for sexual health. If you are masturbating more even then it is not harmful but it is better to decrease the frequency of it.

Even past history of excessive masturbating does not affect patient condition, but if you have guilt then it can increase your worry and anxiety. In your case it appear that you have excessive sexual anxiety, which lead stoppage of masturbation. Sexual worry and anxiety also lead to erectile dysfunction.
.

Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction. There is no need for Tadalafil, as it used before sex only.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you in erection:
-First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-Stop worrying excessively.
-Eat a healthy diet: fruits, milk and eggs
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. As you will worry, your problem will increase further. You can also plan to some short vacation for honeymoon, which will relieve your stress.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise (like: Jogging, skipping and cycling) daily. It will increase blood flow all over body and will reduce stress.
-The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting, but should be taken after prescription and before sex only.

There is also need to rule out certain medical conditions which can affect erection. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialist may also needed.

Apart from that in person evaluation and examination by psychiatrist may be necessary in your case to identify and treat psychological cause of ED, specially sexual anxiety.

First follow steps mentioned by me for 1 month, if there is no change, it is better to get evaluated and investigated by physician and psychiatrist to rule out above conditions.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Not getting full erection. Prescribed tadalafil and nano leo. Are these medicine effective? 34 hours later
Thank you very much doctor.

Yesterday night only i got nice sleep. Before that and all daily i woke up in mid night and can't able to sleep afterwards.

Few details about me,

1. Dont have alcohol or smoking habit
2. Never had sex
3. Started doing excercise
4. Don't have any health issues

Few more questions,

1. Morning while woke up i am getting light erection, but its not hard one. Is it alright?

2. After stopped mastrubating, I tried it after 1 month, but not got full erection, but tried three times within one hour and can ejaculate. Is it a problem, or purely my mental tension caused this.

3. How can I get confident to get full erection. My mind always worried for not getting hard erection. Will I get it if I wont matrubate for next 6 months.

4. I am geting all these probelms only after my marriage got fixed. befroe that I was mastrubating daily and got full erection.Once I heard about marriage all wories started.

5. Shall I continue to take NANO LEO?

Please sugegst me a way to get rid of this tension. Mostly if I get all above questions clarified, then I will be 100% alright(I hope).

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 42 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Ans: not a big issue, as you had normal masturbation in recent past.

Ans: From history it appear that tension and anxiety is most important reason for your current problem.

Ans: Erection do not get affected by masturbation in long term. Masturbation is not harmful for health and more than 80% man and woman masturbate in some point of the time. In present situation if you are not masturbating more than 3-4 times per week than there is no problem, even it is better for sexual health.

So stopped worrying which will help you.

Ans: Marriage is also a stressful event in life, which lead to increase worry in several persons, specially performance anxiety.

5. Shall I continue to take NANO LEO?
Ans: If it is advised by your physician, you can continue it.

Follow above steps mentioned by me for 1 month, if there is no change, it is better to get evaluated and investigated by physician and psychiatrist to rule out above conditions.

In your case, you are appear to in severe stress, in such case, you can XXXXXXX them early also.

Wish you good health.
Regards.