Not getting an erection for some time. No medical history.

38 years
175 cms
no medical history
i have not been getting an erection for sometime.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 53 minutes later

Sexual dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

>Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

>Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

As you are young with average weight and no medical history I would like to consider psychological factors as a cause of your symptoms.

Stoppage of any substance like smoking give rise to transient duration stress which in genetically predisposed individuals can lead to anxiety or depressive illness. Even when some person develops erectile dysfunction for transient duration due to stress it continues even after stress due to sexual performance anxiety.

Answer me following questions to help you better:
-do you have morning erection or normal erection any part of day?
-which medicine was used to help quitting smoking?
-use of alcohol or smoking?
-your blood pressure?

I hope this information will be both informative and helpful for you.

Follow-up: Not getting an erection for some time. No medical history. 46 minutes later
1. i had taken the quit smoking pill 2 years back for a week or so. stopped it when this happened. carried on smoking.

2. i have had this significant issue since the last two months. before that it wasnt such a known problem.

3. for the last 2 months,
- attempted conjugation with wife didnt work out.
- i tried using manual simulation & getting an erection, but even after entering i lost erection.
- since then i have noticed that my arousal has been rare .. even while women are physically close and enticing. or even while fantasising.

its happened once a while before in the last 5 - 10 years but this time its sustained for a couple of weeks.

bit of morning erection sometimes.
normal erection sometimes on physical touching.

blood pressure was normal

have quit smoking for only 6 days. no medicine used hence no linkage.

what would you advice as way forward.

Follow-up: Not getting an erection for some time. No medical history. 7 minutes later

i take alcohol. typically 1 - 3 times a week. usually beer. typically 4 - 5 beers.

i smoke. india kings.
typically 5 - 6 cigs a day. + continuously with drinks. about a packet.
i typically dont eat anything while drinking .. except a couple of bites maybe.

i am based in Gurgaon.

what would you advice as next steps .. n if i have to consult a doctor which speciality should he be. any pre tests that i should get done before meeting the doctor.

i have slightly high cholestrol off late.

as a routine, used to play once a week squash, but havent done that for 9 months. have run half marathon a few times. have done kailash mansoravar 9 day trekking route last september.

non veg by diet. typically 2 - 3 meals snacking outside home or maybe 2 - 3 meals back to back ; once a month at home.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

As per your report, you are having normal erection some point of the time; this rules out any physical illness for erection problem.

Following changes in your lifestyle can help you:
-Aerobic exercises
-Relaxation exercises like yoga and breathing exercise
-Drink plenty of juice
-Do not start smoking again
-Stop or reduce frequency of alcohol use to once a week.
-Sometime psychological block can develop after stress which can impair penetrative sex. This may cause loss of erection too. To break this, you may consider use of drugs like “sildenafil” for a short duration. Your prescribe you this drug after a detailed physical examination.
-If problem persists, you can visit a competent psychiatrist who is dealing with sexual problems.

I hope this information is both informative and helpful. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other doubts. Should you have any, feel free to post them, I will be glad to help you further.