Not emptying bladder after urinating. Affected by urinary track infections. Cure?

I am not emptying my bladder after urinating, to much urine is left in my bladder. Therefore I have had a few uti's in the last five months. Dr .has ordered a ct scan. No blood in urine.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

There are many reasons for non emptying of the urinary bladder in females. These include obstructions in the passage of urine to the exterior or due to decreased contractility of bladder.

Initially an ultrasound scan is the first investigation to see the kidneys and bladder. Through ultrasound scan a pre void and post void urine volume estimation can be evaluated. The bladder war thickness is also well appreciated.

CT scan gives a bigger picture on the bladder, kidney and surrounding structures. It will show and diverticulum (out pouching) of the bladder wall. Any cystocele (bladder herniation into the vagina) can also be seen with associated urethroceles if any.

No blood in urine is often a good prognostic finding. It rules out the excretion of blood cells and any bleeding injury or exposed vascularity in the urinary tract.

I would be pleased to discuss your CT scan report.

If necessary, you doctor may suggest investigations like uroflowmetry, cystoscopy and micturition cystourography.

I hope this answers your question,
Write back in case of doubts,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.