Not eating properly due to anxiety and vomiting phobia. Is this due to missed bowel movement?

Jan 2013

I'm 16 and i haven't been eating right since my anxieties and vomiting phobia, but because of my eating habits i have not pooped in 5 days, i don't feel like i need to either. What could i eat to help me go soon!? Also ive been really dizzy lately, could this be because i have not had a bowel movement? Or could i just be malnourished/dehydrated. Thanks for your help doctor
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have abdominal heaviness/ abdominal bloating/ excessive flatulence/ acidic belching?
Are you feeling vomiting phobia or is there any episodes of vomiting yet now?
Have you taken any medications for anxiety or depression?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Anxiety and depression or its medication may be associated with decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Gut motility is regulated by our emotions and thinking process.
Gastrointestinal motility may also be decreased due to hormonal disorders such as diabetes and hypothyroidism.
Infact, dehydration (as you have defined) may also be a cause of constipation.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and psychiatrist simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, blood sugar, thyroid profile, ultrasound imaging and x XXXXXXX abdomen.

Meanwhile, you should take isapgula along with lactitol for relief of constipation.
You should also take prokinetics along with plenty of water.
You should also take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors which will help in relieve of depression ans also for constipation.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Not eating properly due to anxiety and vomiting phobia. Is this due to missed bowel movement? 3 hours later
I am having extreme anxiety cause i'm scared to vomit, will i be okay? And i have a little bit of gas and i'm trying to eat things that'll help me have a bowel movement.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
You should take serotonin reuptake inhibitors along with anxiolytic.
You are only scared regarding vomiting but not getting any thing out.
You should also go for above advised investigations.
You should continue your diet which helps in bowel movement.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava