Not active sexually. Noticed swelling in labia and clitoral hood. It is itchy. What is causing this?

My labia and clitoral hood are suddenly very swollen. It doesnt hurt but it itches and it happened very suddenly. I am not currently sexually active so its not an sti or anything like that. What is it?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 40 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Itching and swelling at labia is an indication of local inflammatory problem.
It can be an infection apart from STD, or an allergic reaction to collected local secretions/ any new sanitiser.
Please get a local examination by your physician and get the site sampled for gram stain and culture along with same samples of urine.
You should throughly clean the whole region with soap and liberal amount of lukewarm water and start local application of antibiotics like Neosporin ointment twice a day till you get relief.
I hope your problem will get resolved soon.