Not active sexually. Noticed burning, itching and redness in labia minora. Could it be cancer or STD?

HI I not sexually active and have really notice a change in my last two period of XXXXXXX and july burnin, intching and redness, with little red bump inside of labia minora, and inside vagnia is roughness but cervix smooth but rough around it. And know i'm worry on next physical exam pap smear it going to be abnormal, and never had abnormal
pap smear, or cancer or some how std
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 35 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

First of all try to relax .

Do you have any abnormal vaginal discharge that is/was greyish, yellow or curdy white in colour?
Any foul smelling vaginal discharge?
Any history of burning micturition / history of urinary tract infection?
Any history of fever/ lower abdominal pain?
Kindly get back to me with the above details.

The possibilities I can think of with the brief history you have provided are:
1. Fungal infection in the vagina
2. Allergies
3. Urinary tract infection.
Since you are not sexually active, we can rule out sexually transmitted disease.

Since you say the vagina is rough ,and have a small bump in your labia minora, you might want to get it evaluated by your gynaecologist. He/She might do a complete physical and vaginal examination, pap smear and advise you to get a urine routine examination etc done. After examination and investigations, the doctor might prescribe you the appropriate medication.

The following measures will be helpful in general:
1. Keep your perineal region clean and dry. After urination, clean the area with water and dry it well with toilet paper.
2. Only use 100% cotton panties. Totally avoid nylon/synthetic ones. Cotton panties helps the skin to breathe.
3. Avoid using cosmetic creams or talcum powder in the perineal region.
4. Drink plenty of water/fluids at least 8 glasses of water in a day.
5. During periods, change your sanitary napkins at regular intervals.

Hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan