Ask a Urologist   »  

Not able to urinate. Having bladder retention and fibromyalgia. Having pain in lower back. What can be done?

I cannot urinate at all. I think I have bladder retention. I have fibromyalgia. My lower back hurts. I do not have insurance.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 25 minutes later

If you do not have any any urine coming out in last more than 12 hours. then there are only two possibilities.-

1. that the kidney is not forming any urine
2. the kidney is forming urine but there is an outflow tract obstruction.

To differentiate them we need to have blood test serum creatinine, sodium and potassium and an ultrasound examination to rule out obstruction.

If obstructed foleys catheter tube has to be put. urine testing has to be done to find the exact reason. all this requires medical help and you cannot manage at home . i suggest you visit your physician for the problem so that he can undertake the proper treatment plan.

best wishes,