Not able to take radiation for prostrate cancer due to low platelet count. Will Romiplostin injection help?

I am waiting to take external beam radiation for my Prostate cancer. My Platelet count as of today is 51 They will not clear me to get the radiation treatments until I am at 100
Last year I took Rubutuxen and it worked for a few months and went up to 135 in XXXXXXX .of this year then went to 130 in Feb. and now it is 51 as of yesterday. The want ot try Romiplostin injection to raise count fast so I can take the radiation . I belong to Kaiser HMO in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Ca. Since they tell me they have not tryed this before ,can you tell me something about this drug and if It is a good choice to do the trick.
Any bad side affects.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

This is a very good question in your situation especially since you're looking forward to a treatment which is certainly going to provide a significant benefit for treatment of your prostate cancer.

Romiplostim is a fairly new medication which helps to directly stimulate the formation and release of platelets into the bloodstream.
Romiplostim's effect is to stimulate the megakaryocytes to produce platelets at a more rapid than normal rate, thus overwhelming the immune system's ability to destroy them. As doing so involves changes to the bone marrow chemistry, a number of potentially serious side-effects may develop, including myalgia, joint and extremity discomfort, insomnia and bone marrow fibrosis, the latter which may result in an unsafe decrease in the red blood count. The More serious side effects occur usually with very long-term use of this medication.

I think in your case a short-term use of this medication will provide you the exact benefit what you require. What you need is a temporary boost in your platelet count so that you can indoor the treatment for your prostate cancer.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert