Not able to sleep, taken Anxozap and Mirtaz

Hi Doctor

I am not able to sleep for almost two weeks. I showed to a psychatrist & he gave me some medicines like anxozap,mirtaz
What should I do to sleep well..
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. What you are having is basically insomnia which is an individual's report of sleeping difficulties. Insomnia is present when there is difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep or when the sleep that is obtained is non-refreshing or of poor quality. These problems occur despite adequate opportunity and circumstances for sleep and they must result in problems with daytime function.

First of all, we should try the non pharmacological methods first. You should consult a sleep specialist and discuss the treatment option of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). In the meanwhile you should start the sedatives and antidepressants that you have been prescribed by your doctor.

Apart from the treatment mentioned above, try the following treatment options:

1) Keep a regular sleep and awakening schedule.

2) Do not drink caffeinated beverages later than the afternoon (tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.)

3) Do not go to bed hungry and you can have milk etc before going to bed.

4) Adjust the environment in the room (lights, temperature, noise, etc.)

5) Do not watch TV, read, eat, or worry in bed and avoid watching TV, reading books, and eating in your bed.

6) Self-hypnosis, biofeedback and relaxation breathing are often helpful. These can be discussed with a sleep specialist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.