Ask a Urologist   »  

Not able to sleep, need to urinate frequently. Done with test. What could be the cause?

Urologist
Question
Hi, My grandfather (82 yrs old) is complaining that he was not able to sleep as he need to urinate atleast 5 to 6 times in the night. I have attached the report which we have taken for him. Please analyse and let me know what needs to be done for this problem. Thanks in Advance!
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
I went through his report.
He seems to have urinary tract infection as evidenced by urine analysis, high residual urine, as evidenced by scan, most probably due to enlarged prostate gland.
The basic problem is age related enlargement of the prostate gland with resultant incomplete emptying of the urinary bladder causing urinary tract infection.
He needs blood tests to assess his renal function and uroflowmetry to assess how well he is passing urine.
After clinical examination, he needs treatment of infection based on urine culture test, which will enable selection of the right antibiotic.
Then, based on all factors put together, he needs to be assessed if he is a candidate for TURP, subject to his fitness levels due to old age and other co-morbid conditions ( endoscopic removal of the prostate). If this procedure is done, he should empty his bladder well, infection will be prevented, night time urination should come down and should led to peaceful sleep.
Hope this helps,
Wishing him good health,
Best regards

Follow-up: Not able to sleep, need to urinate frequently. Done with test. What could be the cause? 44 minutes later
Hello doctor, Thanks for your reply.. Will this be cured by medicine or he needs to go for Surgical treatment? How serious this issue is now?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Prostate gland enlargement is not cured by medical treatment. The urine flow can be improved and nocturnal frequency can be controlled to some extent with medicines.
But, only a surgical procedure can remove the mechanical obstruction/block and it is the best.
Still, without examining him, final decision is not possible.
Hope this helps.
best regards

Follow-up: Not able to sleep, need to urinate frequently. Done with test. What could be the cause? 17 hours later
Hello doctor,
Thanks for your reply. From your profile I came to know that you are practicising in Chennai. Am from Mannargudi, So could you please suggest me some good Urologist around my place (Tiruvarur, Thanjavur, Kumbakonam, Pattukottai,etc.,). Thanks in Advance!!

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 19 hours later
Welcome back.
DR Gunasekar who you are consulting is quite XXXXXXX and a professor.
So, it is wise to continue with him.
Best regards

Follow-up: Not able to sleep, need to urinate frequently. Done with test. What could be the cause? 3 days later
Thanks for ur reply....We want ot take a second opinion from another doctor since Dr Gunasekar has told us, after the Surgery the condition can be cured/it may be as it is/it can be worsen. So we are not able to decide what to do next. He is not assuring it will be cured at the same time he mentioned there is a chance to become even worse than what it is now. So could you please suggest someone.
Also why the chances of being worse after surgery....
Thanks in Advance!

You may XXXXXXX Dr ravindran at srinivasapuram or Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at s .b hospital, rajapa nagar, both at thanjavur. I believe that things should only improve after the procedure.
Best regards