Not able to sleep, depressed, fatigued, weakness, prescribed Sycorest, Rexipra and CoBaDex. Please advise

I am a 59 year old man. I have a high pressure job and I am quite happy with it. For some time now I feel I am not able to sleep well. My mind also keeping wandering around in all kinds of useless thoughts. I feel depressed and anxious for no particular reason. Sometimes I feel as if the whole energy has been drained out of my body and feel weak and unsure. My doctor advised me sycorest, rexipra-5 and CoBaDex CZS. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your description it appear that you are having anxiety disorder. Severity of anxiety may vary time to time, in your case it is associated with variation in sleep duration and excessive thoughts. If it is not treated on time, it can lead to depression.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm (lead to weakness), heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) (like REXIPRA in your case) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet: for Vitamins (you are receiving Cabadex CZS) for vitamins.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.
-stop alcohol or substance use (if present)

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, your treatment (sycorest, rexipra-5 and CoBaDex CZS) is appear to right but in some cases improvement may take time. So, keep regular follow up with your psychiatrist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.