Not able to sleep continuously. Suggest?

Hi, I am not able to sleep continuously for 7 to 8 hours. For the last couple of weeks I sleep for 3 - 4 hours after which I am wide awake and unable to sleep. I working hours are from 6 PM to early morning. I've been working nights for the past 4 months and was getting sufficient sleep. However, the last couple of weeks have been difficult.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
just a variant from normal

Detailed Answer:

It is bound to happen that one experiences lack of sleep or disturbed sleep, occasionally. This is expected. It is the same with you as well.

It is fine to not sleep at a stretch for 7 to 8 hours. Even, if you are awakened in between, it is still fine.

What you need to do is - wake up, sit down on your bed for a few minutes, and lie down again. Even after this, if you are unable to sleep, then something is bothering or worrying you. Please think closely on what must be causing this worry or stress. Resolve that first and soon you would be able to get back your normal sleep.

Make sure you eat at the right times, and drink plenty of fluids orally.

I wish you good health.