Not able to pass stools even after eating vegetables and fruits. Suggestions

Anything for helping me when I can't go to the bathroom while you're at it? Veggies and Fruits aren't doing the trick.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 1 hour later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Laxatives or purgatives are drugs used to evacuate the bowels in constipation. These act either by increasing the intestinal fluid bulk or by enhancing intestinal movement.

You have two choices. XXXXXXX or dietary fiber contains unabsorbable constituents of vegetable food like cellulose, pectins, glycoproteins and other polysaccharides. It absorbs water in intestines, swells and increases water content of feces, makes it soft and helps in easy evacuation without the need to strain. It is very effective but it is unpalatable, needs to be taken in large quantity (20 to 4o g/day) but can only be used in "prevention" and not after constipation has occured.

Bisacodyl is given for "treatment" and not prevention of constipation It stimulates gut motility. Taken as 10 mg tab in night it causes evacuation after 6 to 8 hours. You should avoid regular use. Otherwise, it can cause inflammation and mucosal damage of gut.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.