Not able to pass hard stool, painful. Have fissures. Suggest medication for immediate relief?

I am not able to pass hard stool from 1 day and its really painful. I am also suffering from fissures, so i dont want to force. Can you suggest me a medication for immediate relief?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Hard stools lead to fissure ( which is just a break in the skin) and fissure can lead to constipation due to spasm of the sphincters.
This cycle needs to be broken.
Take regular stool softeners like lactulose solution or liquid paraffin solution.
Kindly take enough water to keep the stool moist.
Kinldy apply liberally- lignocaine 2% gel to the anus at least three times a day and just before and after opening bowels.
If still there is a problem, kindly contact your doctor.
Hope this helps, Kindly get back fro doubts if any.