Not able to move the lower lip. Could this be Bell's palsy? History of root canal treatment

Just out of the blue I can't move part of my lower lip to the left and down? I can move it in all other directions except left/down????? When I open my mouth wide the bottom left does not want to go down like the other side does to open wide. If I smile big the left side does not want to go down as in to see the bottom teeth like my right side does. Is this a nerve problem or a muscular or both? What could cause this to just stop moving correctly? I did not hit it, no teeth were pulled but it is the same side were I did have a root canal done 5 yrs ago, no lump or bruising or pain or stiffness. I just can't move it correctly in that certain direction. Could it be Bels Pasly or what?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The description you have provided is suggestive of facial nerve injury or palsy commonly called Bell's palsy. An exposure to cold or an injury in front of the ear or a minor stroke can cause such symptoms.
This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult a physician or a neurologist who can guide you through the tests.
Early diagnosis and treatment often causes full restoration of the nerve function.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Not able to move the lower lip. Could this be Bell's palsy? History of root canal treatment 17 minutes later
Wouldn't I know if I had a minor stroke? Can you have one in your sleep or so minor you don't notice?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can have a minor stroke without even noticing it. Investigations are necessary to find out the cause. Viral infections can also cause such nerve affection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.