Nostril clogged, green-yellowish drainage

ENT Specialist
my right nostril is clogged with anywhere from a green/yellish at times to a clear snot but my left nostril is clear as a summers day what is the problem
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Based on your description provided, I assume to know your right nostril is congested persistently and your nasal cycle of alternative breathing through nostrils has been disrupted.

The most common cause for persistent nasal obstruction would be a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) associated with nasal turbinate hypertrophy and sinusitis which aggravates during winters. Normally nasal secretions are found to be clear but greenish or yellowish would denote an allergy or bacterial infection.

You seem to be on many medications for your age. Nasal dryness, congestion and thick secretions may be due to medications such as paxil, hydroxyzine, prazosin and atenolol.

It would be better to discuss these findings after an examination by an ENT Specialist.

You are currently on these following medications:
a) Analgesics: Tramadol and Etodolac.
b) Antihypertensives: Prazosin and Atenolol.
c) Anti-anxiety / insomnia drugs: Paxil (Paroxitine), Zolpidem (Ambien CR) and Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine also has some anti allergic action. It is advisable to reduce on the number of medications.

It is advisable only to reduce or discontinue medications under the supervision of your physician / doctor as these may produce severe withdrawal symptoms.

On confirming your physical examination findings, a newer generation anti histaminic with a mucolytic and steam inhalation should solve your problem. Additional short term use of nasal decongestant drops and nasal steroid sprays may help, based on the discretion of your treating specialist. Depending upon the severity of your DNS, septoplasty or Radio Frequency Ablation of turbinates may be advised.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you a speedy recovery.