Nose started bleeding after head injury. Getting headache. Should I consult a doctor?

Dec 2014

My friend was bent over, then straightened up and hit the back of his head on a cabinet. A flat surface. His nose started bleeding. Stopped after a good while and ended up bleeding 2 more times within 3-4 hours. Now he has a headache and is resting on the couch.

Is this something that needs to be seen ASAP or what should we do?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 hours later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

He is 60 years old and also hypertensive. Any injury to head should be taken seriously. As he hit back of his head on a cabinet and following this he had bleeding from nose even no direct injury to nose. Any bleeding following trauma to head like from nose, ear or eyes is serious. S I would advise you to take him to emergency ASAP to rule out any XXXXXXX hemorrhage. He should underwent CT scan to rule out any bleeding from brain. In the mean time check for his Blood Pressure. Increased blood pressure is also a risk.
Secondly it may be simple Epistaxis that is very common in patients of Hypertension. But as bleeding occurred following trauma so evaluation is must to rule out any serious cause.
So please take him to ER as soon as you can.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD