Nose congestion, cant remove mucus, mucus touching the throat, winter cold, spring allergy

Question
I have had a stuffy nose and cannot expel mucus by blowing my nose.I am away from my country and GP. It feels like the mucus is trickling down the back of my throat. I have had these symptoms for 5 months and thought I had a winter cold and later maybe a Spring allergy. It is now really irritating me !
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis - which is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses.

The measures that helps in getting rid of a stuffy nose are

1. Saline nasal drops. You can get them over the counter at any local chemist. You could prepare them at home too; by adding a spoon of salt to glass of water. The mixture to be instilled into each nostril.

2. Over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). These are to be used for 5-7 days at a time.

3. Nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids. You may get them prescribed by a healthcare provider. If you have fever then you may need a course of antibiotics as well.

4. The best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Other than these, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths, drinking adequate fluids and swimming also help a lot.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then do not hesitate to write back to me. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Nose congestion, cant remove mucus, mucus touching the throat, winter cold, spring allergy 2 hours later
I have some Nasofen nasal spray,Fluticasona Propionato In Spanish. That is were I am at the moment

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Fluticasona is fluticasone which is a synthetic corticosteroid and is administered to decrease inflammation in the nasal passages. However steroids should always be used under medical supervision. If you are using it for the first time, then consult your doctor and then use it. It may cause allergic reaction and nosebleeds in susceptible individuals.